About the Project
Installation of the bird protection measures on the high voltage electricity transmission grid in Lithuania
The main objectives of the project are:
- Improve the conservation status of the migratory, wintering and some breeding bird species, through the reduction of the negative impact of the high voltage overhead electricity transmission lines on their populations;
- To support breeding population of the Common kestrel and other falcon species, through the implementation of the special supportive conservation measures.
Detailed project objectives are following:
- To reduce significantly bird mortality rate in the areas of their concentrations because of collision with electric lines wires by the help of special installations on the wires of the high voltage overhead electricity transmission lines;
- To reduce significantly White stork mortality rate because of electrocution through the installation of the special protection protective measures on the pylons of the high voltage overhead electricity transmission lines;
- To stop the deterioration of the breeding conditions of the falcons (namely, Common kestrel Falco tinnunculus) on the pylons of the high voltage electricity transmission grid in Lithuania through the erection of the 500 nest-boxes there;
- To improve the conservation status of the Common kestrel breeding population in Lithuania;
- To evaluate the effectiveness of the practical conservation actions on the bird state through the implementation of the adapted detail monitoring programs;
- To increase public awareness on the bird mortality problem within high voltage electricity transmission lines grid.
Concrete actions in this project will be aimed at the protection of birds against their mortality within high voltage overhead electricity transmission lines – Installation of bird collision mitigation measures on the transmission power lines in the important bird staging areas in Lithuania (C.1), Installation of high visibility wires markers on the transmission power lines in the most sensitive bird areas in Lithuania (C.2), Installation of the bird protection measures on the utility poles within high voltage electricity transmission grid in Lithuania (C.3) and Erection of the nest-boxes for falcons (C.4).
A very important component of the project will be comprised of various public awareness and information activities:
Production and erection of the info stands in the project areas (E.1), Production and broadcasting of a film on bird mortality problem within the power lines grid (E.2);
- International seminar on the reduction of bird mortality within electric transmission and distribution grids (E.3);
- Creation and maintenance of project website (E.4);
- Work with media (E.5);
- Production and distribution of printed materials about the project and problem-solving (E.6);
- Preparation and dissemination of the technical report on the bird protection measures within high voltage electricity transmission grid in Lithuania (E.7);
- Production and distribution of Layman’s report (E.8).
Expected results (outputs and quantified achievements)
Preparatory actions will deliver following results:
- A report on the selected measures for wires marking and bird protection on the utility poles of the high voltage overhead power lines;
- A national level scheme of the segments of high voltage overhead electricity transmission lines for installation of the bird protection measures on the 1,200 utility poles;
- Nest-boxes for falcons installation scheme on the high voltage electricity lines in Lithuania
Concrete practical management measures will be fully implemented if:
- At least 7,100 “spiral” type and 1,500 high visibility wires markers – bird flight diverters, will be put up on the at least 108 km length of high voltage electric lines wires on the 18 selected and well mapped sites;
- During four project years at least 6,000 “Wishbone” and 6,000 “Saucer” type installations will be put up on the 1,200 utility poles in different country areas for the protection of the White storks against their mortality;
- Before the start of three breeding seasons during the second-fourth years of the project implementation period at least 500 nest-boxes for falcons will be put up on the overhead electricity line pylons in the areas around the country, which will be indicated in the elaborated nest boxes installation scheme.
Awareness raising activities will start from setting up of project website and printing information material (project leaflet (1,000 copies), brochure about bird mortality problems on the overhead electricity lines (800 copies); 4-years wall calendars (2,000 copies in total) and Layman’s report in (700 copies)). In the main project sites, info stands (18 units) will be setup. To share project experience on scientific level involving other stakeholders, international seminar will be organized (app. 50 participants), while project experts will prepare the technical report on the bird protection measures within high voltage electricity ransmission grid in Lithuania. Visibility of the project will be also ensured working with media, and producing, broadcasting and distributimg 600 DVD copies of a film on bird mortality problem within the power lines grid.
Project management will be organized involving experienced project management team, with support by the Project Steering Committee, which will follow project implementation process. Project success monitoring will be performed with focus on administrative progress, but considering scientific assessment of the biological monitoring data.
Projektą „Paukščių apsaugos priemonių įdiegimas Lietuvos aukštos įtampos elektros energijos perdavimo tinkluose“ (LIFE13 BIO/LT/001303) finansuoja Europos Sąjungos aplinkos finansinis mechanizmas „LIFE+“, LR Aplinkos ministerija ir projekto partneriai. Projekto pradžia – 2014 m. birželis, planuojama pabaiga – 2018 m. liepa.